If you are seeking a childbirth class that is hands-on, evidence-based, nonjudgmental, and inspiring, you are in the right place.
Informed Birth is comprehensive
We integrate mental, physical, and emotional preparation for labor, birth, and postpartum adjustment. Classes emphasize the physiology of birth, body-mind integration and dynamic, hands-on learning. In addition to instruction and discussion regarding each week's topics, you will learn multiple techniques for coping with the challenges of labor, including positioning, movement, touch, mindfulness, and relaxation techniques.
Informed Birth is inspiring
This class is designed to empower you with knowledge about the physical, mental, and emotional elements of the birth process, and to increase your confidence in your body and your decision-making abilities. In contrast to the fear-based cultural messages about birth that surround us, the classes will help you connect to baby, accept the unknown in birth, and envision ways to create your best birth experience.
Informed Birth is community based
We provide space for you to explore your own goals, priorities, and needs for your birth, based on the belief that there is not one "right" way to give birth. Classes seek to build community relationships, providing expectant parents an opportunity to learn, share, and meet with others in a supportive and positive environment that is respectful and inclusive.
Informed Birth meets the needs of new and experienced parents with any birthing history or family structure, planning birth in any setting.
Topics covered in class:
• Anatomy and physiology of labor & birth
• Stages of labor, both physical and emotional
• Movement and position practice for labor, birth, and optimal fetal positioning
• Hands-on coping techniques, pain management, the role of the birth partner, and preparing for the unexpected (inductions, cesarean birth, and more),
• Relaxation and meditation practice, how to integrate mindfulness into the
birth experience, and opening the lines of communication with your medical team
• Community resources for birth, postpartum, breastfeeding, and newborn care
• Birth videos
This class will be held on six Sunday evenings (March 3rd through April 7th) from 6 pm - 8:30 pm. Taught by Katie Collins
$350 per couple.